Sunday, June 8, 2008

Take a look it's in a book . . .


Well here is an idea of what has been keeping me busy for the past little while. And I already finished three and returned them to the library! The crazy/wonderful/scary/exciting thing is that the little one is due in less than two weeks. Wow, we can't wait.

It is funny how many people ask us if we are sure we are ready for a kid. Ahhh, YEP! Hello, we have been ready and waiting forever. Seriously though, I can't believe that we are finally going to be parents. I am sure all soon to be parents go through this process, but we feel such a responsibility to be the best parents we can be. I want so badly to give this little one the world. I feel like we also have an additional responsibility to Shiloh to give him everything she hoped for him. Talk about overwhelming.

I am looking for everyone's real world parenting tips. We are going to be in a hotel room for the first couple of weeks most likely, for some reason that makes me even more nervous. I can't call my mom and have her run down, ya know. Anyway, what advice do you have on newborns.

I have been practicing a bit, my 2 & 3 year old nephews have thoroughly enjoyed being my swaddling ginnie pigs, they think it is the funniest thing. :)

6 comments:

JANEAL said...

Dr. Brown bottles are the best! I know when you think about it you get a little nervous...it's normal, but once you hold your little one everything just comes natural. We all have mothering instincts. You'll be great! How exciting that it is less than two weeks away. You'll want some rubbing alcohol and some cotton swabs to clean the cord with until it falls off. Lots of clothes, blankets, diapers, and burp cloths. I remember when I was in your shoes....all the emotions you go through. One of the best days of your life is going to come very soon....how exciting for you! Best of luck to you!

Melanie S. said...

I don't remember seeing any of those titles on reading rainbow...hmm. How very exciting for you guys. I have no advice sorry, motherhood or parenthood is totally and completely humbling.
your friend, Mel

Mary Pugh said...

Oh my goodness I am sooo excited for you! I watched the movie Juno last week (sort of hated the movie) but it made me think of you and what you are going through! The best real world advice that I can give is what the nurses told me in the hospital...give your self 6 weeks to just adjust and take it easy...whether you physically give birth or not I think it's great advice because it's such a huge adjustment filled with a lot of emotions and not a lot of sleep. Keep me posted and do you have a name picked out?

Kristina said...

TWO WEEKS... Yippee I am so EXCITED, this will be my first time being an aunt. I will probably see you on Saturday so I'll give my advice on what worked for me, then. I just love you two guys so very much, and can't wait to love baby just as much. It's funny how you love something even when they have yet too enter the world. You two are the most wonderful, kind and baby couldn't ask for better two people.

Katie said...

The reading rainbowwwwwww!

Hahahah, you're awesome Emily. Have I told you that yet?

Katy said...

Oh my gosh-two weeks! I wish I could be there to actually help you! Here's two tips that popped in my head: you can cheap out on a lot of things, but don't cheap out on wipes - I buy the ones that 'pop up', because when you're wiping that wiggly and/or crying baby, the last thing you need is to be fiddling with your finger trying to pry the wipe from the giant stack.
And, don't forget that YOU are the mommy - sometimes medical staff, even family can make you feel like you aren't able to make certain decisions or they reinforce that you are new to this, but you (and Bryan!) make the decisions for your child and you must do what you think is best.
Good luck in that hotel room - whatever happens, it will be much easier when you get back to your own home and own stuff. Will you have a bouncy chair or swing, that will really help.
Well, maybe I should have emailed you instead of leaving a huge comment, but I know you will do just fine. You have so much love and excitement for this baby - and that's the most important thing to carry you through sleepless nights and dirty diapers.
Good luck - give your baby one extra squeeze from us!!!